Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Bonus project - The Transporter

 

Good start to the morning. Amish neighbor Ike came over and pulled my trailer out of the snow. I am going to build up this trailer to transport the Mega Storm fan unit on. Interesting technology contrast in the  picture, wind turbine and his horses.

Just a few details to finish up before I tackle the trailer project. The 1/4" Lexan arrived and I need to cut the 48"x48" sheets to size. Had to build a support system to hold it while I cut it on the bandsaw.

 
The support system.

Wanted to make sure my head was in the game so I wrote the dimension on the sheet. The cost of this stuff made the cost of MDO look cheap. Good thing I did because you can see I measured and drew in a line on the left that would have cut the 45 - 3/4" height I needed. Could not believe I almost made this blunder.

Here you can see the Laxan sheet being held in the rabit with screws every 6".

Got some nice T-slotted track to make the turbine hold down system. The track is routed into the Platform that the Test Chamber sits on.

Like everything else for this project I had to modify the heads of 3/8" bolts so they would fit into the T-slots. Then these would be coupled with 6" long threaded rod.

Here you can see how the T-bolts and 1x2 cross bars lock down the typical KidWind tower. The system can be used to fit any design of tower base that can be thought of.

Now back to the Transporter project. I will re-deck the trailer and then mount a winch at the front. A fold up ramp will be added to the rear for loading. Next post should show the Mega Storm being practice loaded for transport. 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment