Thursday, June 19, 2014

What are the chances?




Google  Matthew Gast EVA  and you can read his 11-13-08 interview he did about the work he does as an EVA (extravehicular activities) Trainer.


Believe it or not last Friday 6-13-14 I am in my pole shed working on a little project for the Duct Tape collection to bring to OM World Finals next year. Into the driveway pulls a car and out jumps the guy that has handled my insurance and investments for the last year and a half. He was in the area, it was a nice day, he had some time and thought he would just drop in. He asks, "What are you working on?"

My former advisor retired from the company a year and a half ago and Matt his replacement. I told Matt that I was working on my Duct Tape collection. He was puzzled, but he was interested and I began to explain the collection and pointed to the U.S. and World maps in the shed surrounded with all the rolls of Duct Tape. He was impressed and I explained to him how I had some extra special Duct Tape to show him. Duct Tape from the International Space Station (ISS - 13 mission) signed by 15 astronauts!

As I show Matt the tape he says to me, "I told you I worked for NASA didn't I?" I said no I didn't know that. I asked how long? Matt tells me he worked for them from 1999 to 2011. Then as he looks at the astronauts signatures on the Duct Tape from STS - 115 and 121 missions he says, "I know these guys. I worked with them in the NBL (Neutral Buoyancy Lab) in Huston as a trainer working with them to build the ISS." I am dumb founded to say the least! The he shows his arm and the tattoo he got while working at the NBL. This is the real deal! NASA has a great web site and lots of information on the NBL and what goes on there if you want to read more about it. It's awesome!
I am looking forward to learning and sharing more of the stories of future Duct Tape collections and the people involved. Keep thinking how you might help get a roll from a country not on the list.
  
I ask you, really, "What are the chances?"

No comments:

Post a Comment